Saturday, March 24, 2007

My dogs are "nuts"

Anyone who knows me or has read my prior blogs knows how I feel about my two precious dogs Molly and Yogi. They are like my babies and I am kind of a psycho about them. Well a couple of weeks ago we starting finding little "presents" left for us from one of the dogs. By "presents" I mean tiny little pieces of poop. Not like they were actually pooping in the house but these were like little nuggets that seemed to either slip out or get stuck on their fur or something. This had never happened before so we were a little concerned as to why it was happening. All week we tried to figure out which dog was doing it but both were acting fine. Last Saturday night I was on the internet and I see a headline about how dogs are getting sick and dying from some recalled dog food. Of course I instantly look into it further to make sure that my dogs aren't at risk. It is the brand of food that I feed my dogs but it says only the canned food is contaminated not the dry and the dry is what we feed our babies. So the next morning Kody is at Walmart and there is a lady in there freaking out and crying because her dog is sick and the vet supposedly told her that it was the dry food too (she bought the food at Walmart if you are wondering why in the hell she would be in there carrying on about her sick dog). So about that time Yogi is acting a little weird like he is sick or something. Needless to say I take the dogs to the vet to make sure they are OK and to find out why we are getting the "presents". While we are waiting for an hour and a half in the room for the vet Yogi is getting more and more sick and can't control his bowels. Basically he is pooping all over me and the room. It was gross and smelled bad and I was gagging and it was on my clothes and my purse and everything. So I keep a sample of it in a tissue for the Dr. just in case and I notice that it looks weird but I wasn't about to inspect it so I just wrapped it up and that was that. All the while Kody and I are sure that our dogs have been poisoned by the dog food and we are plotting to burn down the dog food factory, etc. Finally the vet comes in and I'm like OK Yogi is sick now but I still really don't know who is leaving us the "presents". She takes the dogs into the back to get samples and stuff and to check the rectal area to make sure that everything is working properly. When she comes back in she asks me if I've been feeding the dogs nuts. Just then I remember that the day before my 2 year old nephew Hayden was over and he was eating cashews. Well of course he is very sweet and generous so he was obviously sharing the cashews with the dogs. So basically Yogi's butt was completely full of cashews because they were too hard for him to digest. The sample that I had so kindly kept for the vet was actually just a cashew and being the good dog that he is Yogi was more than eager to produce some more cashews for her when they got to the back. Molly didn't eat as many and she is bigger than Yogi so it wasn't having quite the same effect on her. (Yogi is 13lbs and Molly is about 25lbs.) As for the "presents" Yogi's little glands by his butt have to be cleaned out every month and they had gotten too full which was causing it to put too much pressure on his rectum and in turn making tiny little nuggets come out. So I spend half of my Sunday and a hundred dollars to find out that my dogs should not eat cashews. They really are "nuts". LOL.

No comments: